Still Small Voice

Today we dropped Dinah off at the airport. Our 26 mile drive took over 3 hours which averages out to be about 9 mph or, in Tanzania terms, 29 speed bumps per hour.

Since she is on a tourist visa, she needs to leave the country in order to have it renewed. She arrives today in Johannesburg, South Africa, and will be staying with some friends of ours until Monday.


And a stowaway on the window (below)... at least we were insured by Geico



Notice the guy under the bag?


One intersection took 50 minutes to get through. Good for roadside business! You can literally buy anything next to the road. 


On Another Note:


It is difficult to write about Tanzania after having a bad day. In all fairness, there are many good days and there are many difficult ones too. In the midst of a good day or week, there is nowhere else in the world I would rather be. It is almost as if God is allowing me to taste a tangible confirmation of our calling to serve in Tanzania. On the days that don't go so well, however, it becomes difficult to hold onto this confirmation, leaving us needing to be reminded of why we are here. This week has proved to be one of those times.

Last night I went for a walk and began a conversation with a man. It didn't take long to realize that he didn't know any English and I knew just as much Swahili. Still, I tried. As we walked to his house,  I strove to understand him and communicate a few words myself. In the end, I came to the raw realization that I have traded my connection with the world around me for one which I do not know. We are told native-like fluency takes an average of 17 years and easy conversation around two years. I have given up a home country where I actually fit in. A missionary's life is a difficult one. Seldom a rosy adventure. Most often just day to day life.

Maybe I lack faith. To stand, resolute, unmovable, as each wave of the unforeseeable difficulties comes crashing down on me. But then I think of Elijah. He had those 'good days' when the Lord proved Himself with fire from heaven. And on that day 450 prophets of baal met their end. But then, shortly afterwards, it was during one of those 'bad days' that Elijah fled from Jezebel and in discouragement wished to die. Where was his confidence in God's calling on his life? Maybe he too had difficulty in holding onto God's tangible confirmations. But it was during that period of difficulty that God comforted and provided. And it was through this 'bad day' that God revealed Himself to Elijah in a special way.

"And He said, 'Go out and stand on the mount before the Lord.' And behold, the Lord passed by, and a great and strong wind tore the mountains and broke in pieces the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind. And after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake. And after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire. And after the fire a still small voice." 1 Kings  19:11-12

God was not in the powerful wind, the earthquake, or the fire. But instead in a still, small voice. And strengthened by His revelation of His character, Elijah continued. 

It is in this that I am encouraged. "Elijah was a man with a nature like ours" yet God worked mightily through him and despite him. (James 5:17)

Morogoro:


This past week, we travelled by bus inland to the city of Morogoro in order to attend a language acquisition workshop. It proved to be a great change of scenery from the busy city of Dar Es Salaam.
 




Before leaving, we were able to climb the mountain. I was so excited to be hiking a tropical mountain for the first time! Above in the picture is Carlos who is one of our language helpers.





As a pilot, the sky fascinates me...



These swallows reminded me of the house I grew up in.


So many fascinating birds!





Please be praying specifically for:
- The kids have been taking turns being sick with colds and fever
- Dinah will be in Johannesburg, South Africa, until Monday (Mar 20th).


Comments

  1. Praying for all of you. Just reading your blog and looking at the pictures is almost like being there.Thank you for sharing your journey with us.
    God bless and keep you.
    Deborah Davis

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Recent Posts

Navigating the Shortcuts

Parents Moving to Tanzania in 10 Days!

Manna from Heaven